You may be weighing up your options on which surveillance solution to choose. There are some important questions you need to consider when choosing a solution that works for you.
QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN CHOOSING A SURVEILLANCE SOLUTION
- Is your surveillance system monitored for uptime? What turnaround time is there for maintenance and fixes? Do you even know if your system is down? SLA should be >95%. Is there replacement stock on hand to quickly swop out kit?
- Does it run on fibre? Or is it a wireless solution (multiple issues including interference, unstable)?
- Do you only find out that a camera is not working when you need the footage?
- Is your ANPR* solution monitored for multiple points of failure, hits/Optical Character Recognition (OCR) reads/conversion and verified Vehicles of Interest (VOI)? Is the database it queries clean and up to date?
- Is the pole fitted with a sensor to alert when an item fails? Temperature, power, movement?
- Does your system run off a world-class video management system that allows integration with any analytics program?
- Where is the feed stored? Is it in a secure data centre?
- Is regulatory compliance taken into consideration? Privacy, POPIA, impact on ongoing investigations?
- Do you have access to a vast network of CCTV cameras, incidents logged, databases of Vehicles of Interest (VOI)?
- Do you get reports on what is working and what is being investigated? Is someone "watching the watcher"?